The University of Hawaii at Manoa William S. Richardson School of Law is an exceptional place to spend one's LLM education. The Law School is committed to diversity and pluralism, and provides excellence not only in teaching but also in scholarship. It offers a Master of Laws (LLM) program that promises to be an exciting venture for students who do not only want to gain theoretical knowledge but also experiential learning.
LLM students of the William S. Richardson School of Law are assured of various LLM events offered each year, including the following:
- Supreme Court Tour - a tour of the U.S. Federal District Court, the State Circuit Court and the Hawaii State Supreme Court, which will allow students to see in person the courts and meet with judges in Hawaii. During this event, LLM students will take the Law Students' Oath as administered by the Hawaii Supreme Court's Chief Justice;
- Scenic Bus Tour - this will transpire during the LLM students' Orientation. This comprises of a scenic bus tour around the Oahu island that will introduce students to the scenery, beaches and forests on the North Shore;
- Law Firm Visit - LLM students will visit a Honolulu law firm to allow them to observe how the large American law firms operate and meet lawyers in the area. They will be afforded the chance to discuss with the lawyers about the practice of American law, which they can compare with the legal systems in their countries;
- Hike to the Diamond Head Crater with the Dean - LLM students, along with the Dean, will hike to the summit of the world-renowned Diamond Head Crater. They will thereafter be treated by the Dean to lunch at a local Hawaiian-style restaurant;
- Many other events and activities are awaiting LLM students of the Law School, such as, being able to participate in mini-courses under the helm of Harvard and other law school professors during the January term, holding of the Jurists-in-Residence program, the Pacific-Asia Law Students Organization (PALSO) event during the Chinese New Year, various law school parties and finally, the graduation rites.
There is no doubt that taking an LLM degree from the University of Hawaii at Manoa School of Law is a pleasurable experience and something to look forward to. The program can be completed within 1 year and is open only to foreign-trained law graduates. It has an August intake and applications for 2018 classes are on-going until 1 May 2018.