The University of San Diego School of Law is a long-standing leader in graduate legal education. Each year, the School of Law is pleased to welcome attorneys, judges, law professors and recent law school graduates from the United States and throughout the world into its Master of Laws (LLM) programs.
The university's diverse curriculum and flexible LLM programs allow its degree candidates to design a course of study suited to best meet their individual academic and professional development needs.
USD offers an LLM in Comparative Law (with available Concentrations) and an LLM in Taxation.
LLM in Comparative Law
The LLM in Comparative Law program offers candidates maximum flexibility in selecting courses from a contemporary and dynamic curriculum, and is ideal for attorneys, judges, professors, and other graduates of international law schools.
* Courses for this program may be selected from many subject areas, including Business and Corporate Law, Criminal Law, Environmental Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Law, Public Law and Tax Law
* Combining fundamental courses in U.S. Law with the opportunity to select from a broad variety of electives allows candidates to develop a highly personalized LLM program
* Studying alongside JD and LLM students from the U.S. and around the world prepares LLM candidates to deal effectively with U.S. attorneys on questions of common interest, and to gain a comprehensive understanding of the law and policy in a wide array of subjects
The School of Law is offers specialized Concentration areas within the LLM in Comparative Law. After enrolling in the LLM program, candidates have the option of pursuing a Concentration in one of the following areas:
* Business and Corporate Law
* Criminal Law
* Intellectual Property Law
* International Law
LLM in Taxation
The LLM in Taxation and Diploma in Taxation programs provide candidates with the necessary theoretical and practical framework that employers require. Through intensive study, students develop a broad skill set in traditional tax lawyering skills. In addition, students gain a deep understanding of the policies forming the basis of our tax laws and Internal Revenue Service pronouncements and are able to analyze the various proposals for tax reform and their correlation with current tax laws.
* Candidates are provided with a strong fundamental basis in tax law, but also have the flexibility to select advanced tax electives from the core curriculum to create a course of study that focuses on their particular areas of interest
* The strong core of distinguished faculty comprises a diverse range of scholars and practitioners, all of whom are leaders in their areas of teaching and practice and have a remarkable commitment to the academic and professional development of their students
* More than 800 graduates are currently in practice in California, throughout the United States and around the world
* Alumni include current and former U.S. Tax Court clerks, members of the judiciary, partners and associates in a variety of firms, sole practitioners and government officials