Civil and criminal wrongs (1)

An illegal act, especially a criminal wrong, is referred to as an offence (US: offense). An offender found guilty by a court may receive a punishment, such as a prison sentence or a fine. A civil wrong, known as a ‘tort’ in common law jurisdictions is remedied by awarding damages (=money compensation) to the injured […]

Back to: