to act against an agreement, a law or a court order etc His actions clearly violate the agreement.
- Many students unknowingly violate copyright law by photocopying entire chapters of reference books.
- This violates the law.
- The ex-criminal violated his probation.
- The government is violating the rights of its citizens.
- Contravene, abridge, breach and flout are synonyms.
- infringe means to violate a right. Used especially in the context of a violation of a copyright, patent or trade mark.
eg The claimant argued that the defendant infringed its copyright by using the software without its consent.