to declare that a challenged law is valid; to state officially that a decision or fact etc is correct The Supreme Court upheld the law permitting the distribution of campaign flyers on city streets on the grounds of freedom of speech.
- Do not confuse uphold with hold up, which means to rob someone at gunpoint eg Two gunmen held up an armored truck, or to slow down eg The striking workers are holding up production.
- The decision was upheld by the Court of Appeal.
- The trial court's order was upheld on appeal.
- The California Supreme Court has decided to uphold existing same-sex marriages.
- The state's highest court voted 4-2 to uphold the state's domestic relations law.