unsettled (area of law)
a category of law which has not been yet decided or established Although the Internet has now been in existence for some time, many areas of e-commerce remain unsettled areas of law since they bring about entirely novel legal issues.
an area of the law in which there are conflicting opinions, or a lack of guidance, as to what the law states The rights of purchasers in good faith is an unsettled area of law in this jurisdiction.
- To navigate safely through this unsettled area of law, contact the relevant local authority.
- Privacy protection is at present an unsettled area of law.
- The court will decide whether the attorney exercised reasonable judgment in giving legal services to clients in an unsettled area of law.
- An attorney, who acts in good faith and makes a diligent (= careful) inquiry into an area of law, should not be held liable for providing advice in an unsettled area of law.
- The opposite of this phrase is a well-settled area of the law.