someone who is officially responsible for the money that belongs to a business, branch of government, club or other organisation The company’s treasurer worked together with the accountants to prepare and file tax returns.
- He served as vice president and treasurer of Hexmark International, Inc. since 2003.
- The treasurer's intimate knowledge of accounting, and his senior role at the company makes him a key employee.
- The county treasurer must successfully complete a course of instruction in the performance of the duties of county treasurer.
- A German party treasurer who helped bring down Helmut Kohl has mysteriously found one million marks ($460,000) in his bank account.
- In addition a treasurer is a governmental officer charged with keeping, receiving, and paying out public revenues (=money that has been collected from taxes to be used for a particular purpose). The Treasurer (usually spelled with a capital T) is generally the head of the Treasury (=a term used in the UK and some other countries to refer to the government department responsible for financial matters), although, in some countries (such as the US or the UK) the Treasurer reports to a Secretary of the Treasury, or the Chancellor of the Exchequer.