(of a specified time period, especially a statutory one) to stop the running of, especially temporarily The statute of limitations was tolled during the time the plaintiff was out of the state.
to officially announce that a law, agreement, right or claim etc no longer exists His lawsuit was tolled by a provision in the Federal Tort Claims Act.
- The rule does not toll the limitations period.
- A tolling of the statute of limitations was warranted.
- The statutory limitation period was tolled.
- statute of limitations a law which establishes the maximum period of time within which a legal action must be brought or a claim enforced.
- run when the statute of limitations starts to apply, we say that the statute is running, ie any time which passes is calculated under the statute for the purpose of determining whether a claim is too old to be brought.