the wrongful taking and carrying away of another person's property with the intention to permanently deprive (=to never give the property back); the act of stealing Grand theft is a felony.
- Robbery, burglary, theft, and larceny are all illegal takings. However, people are robbed (usually by force or threat), places (buildings, ships, or vehicles) are burgled by breaking and entering, and things (personal property or services) are the objects of larceny or theft.
- He was falsely accused and convicted of theft.
- The tag was used by shops to prevent theft.
- The theft was reported.
- The suspicion of theft occurs only if the possibility of a thief exists.
- The rate of theft has decreased.
- There was a spate of thefts over the Christmas holidays.
- grand theft auto
- attempted theft
- identity theft
- petty theft
- Theft is committed by a thief.