UK to formally announce that you want something to be discussed during a meeting Ms Scott tabled an amendment (=change) to the suggestion.
US to postpone discussion on a particular subject or motion until a later time We'll have to table this last item until our next meeting.
- Note that this term has opposite meanings in BrE and AmE. Make sure that you know who your readers or listeners are when you use this term.
- A new clause was tabled to the Criminal Justice Bill.
- The proposal was tabled by Matthew Shefras MP.
- On the last day, the House of Representatives tabled the legislation.
- The proposal failed to gain support so they had to table it.