making sure that rules are obeyed; very precise Biofuels should only be produced if they meet strict environmental standards, say international lawmakers.
- There strict rules prohibiting (= forbid) such activity.
- The information you provide will be treated in strict confidence.
- There are strict requirements which must be met.
- The court rejected strict liability for the companies.
- The judge concluded that the issue should be decided under the strict scrutiny standard.
- lenient (antonym)
- strict constructionism the doctrine that the courts should interpret legislation and the constitution literally, and not according to the spirit of the law