to establish; to put into place; to cause to exist Strict rules regarding use of the video camera were set down after serious abuse was discovered.
- The attorney assessed to criteria (=standards) set down by the Act.
- The Convention set down certain human rights.
- She set down clearly a record of decisions made.
- We must follow the guidelines that are set down by Congress.
- The term set out can be used with a similar meaning: The policy is set out in Editorial Guidelines coming into effect in July.
- The term set can often be used with a similar meaning: The ruling sets an important new precedent.