the act of giving something back that was lost or taken unlawfully from someone; the act of compensating the consequences of unlawful loss or injury My client demands full restitution of expenses incurred (=money spent) following your breach of contract.
- Smith has agreed to pay $675,000 in restitution to the SEC's victim fund.
- The payment is intended to provide restitution for private property seized during the war.
- The court ordered that he pay a restitution fine of $100.
- The oil company promised to make full restitution to the victims for the injury to their health.
- The adjective form is restitutionary.