the formal process of taking legal action against someone, including all of the steps taken in an action or dispute necessary for a case to reach a court, arbitral tribunal or governmental agency The parties avoided further proceedings by settling out of court.
- Do not confuse with proceeds which means money received through a sale or a loan.
- The legal proceedings against the defendant were filed.
- She instituted (=started) divorce proceedings.
- Class action suits with multiple plaintiffs are usually complicated proceedings.
- The terms proceedings and proceeding can generally be used interchangeably in this regard, although proceedings is more common.