a particular activity, custom, method or proceeding etc Although legal, the practice is discouraged by European publishers.
a profession or business that involves a lot of skill or training, especially law and medicine; an example of this (eg a legal practice, a doctor's general practice) Gianni Manca is a member of a leading legal practice in Rome, but also runs a legal firm in East Lothian.
the application of a belief or an idea rather than the theory behind that belief or idea They follow the religious practices established by the ancient church.
- Departing from past practice, the bank now grants loans to first-time restaurant owners.
- Falsely labelling meat is considered an unfair marketing practice.
- The common practice is to notify shareholders one month in advance.
- The waiting period is six weeks, but in practice most people decide within one month.
- He was charged with running an unlicensed legal practice.
- In AmE, both the noun and the verb are spelled practice. In BrE, the verb is practise.