the division of land held by two or more tenants into shares representing the proportionate interests of the tenants The court may award a new partition to be made in the presence of all parties concerned.
the dividing of a country into separate countries or political regions, generally through diplomatic means but sometimes following conflict The resulting civil war killed thousands and lead to a partition of territory between the two rival groups.
- The judge made an order for partition.
- She brought a claim for partition and sale.
- Which property is subject to partition?
- Pakistan was created in 1947, following the partition of India.
- Where the term is used to describe the division of land held by two or more tenants into shares representing the proportionate interests of the tenants, the property will usually be sold and the proceeds divided rather than the court ordering a physical partition of the property. The value of the property is divided into shares, each representing the proportionate interests of the tenants.
- Also used as a verb.