on behalf of (someone)
representing the interests of a person, group or principal etc This letter is written on behalf of my client.
- This was a case filed on behalf of thousands of employment applicants.
- The claim is brought on behalf of a client.
- The former Solicitor General will argue on behalf of Hastings.
- No counsel has entered an appearance on behalf of the defendants.
- She will focus on litigation on behalf of consumers.
- Stephen Colbert testifies on behalf of illegal immigrant farm workers.
- A full personal statement was issued on behalf of the foreign secretary.
- This phrase can usually be replaced by the word for: I spoke for my client.
- To speak on behalf of someone can also mean to praise or defend that person: The popular former president spoke on behalf of the candidate.