to try to reach an agreement through formal discussions The government is ready to negotiate a settlement.
to arrange or agree to something through formal discussions I negotiated a great deal on my new house.
to transfer a cheque or other money substitute to someone else in exchange for money We can only negotiate up to £5000 worth of cheques in any 28 day period.
- The mediator negotiated between the buyer and the seller.
- The biggest issue for us to negotiate on is price.
- Mr. Anderson will negotiate on behalf of the buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous.
- Your lawyer will negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf.
- The government negotiated for release of the hostages.