the failure to do something which a reasonable person would do under the circumstances, or the doing of something which a reasonable and prudent person would not do under the circumstances; failure to be as careful as the law demands The court found that the company's failure to maintain an archive of e-mail correspondence constituted negligence.
- Many house and contents insurance policies have provision for liability insurance for claims of negligence against you.
- He was dismissed for gross negligence after leaving the cash office unlocked.
- A professional negligence case.
- Liability for animals may also be based on negligence.
- The Act firmly states that contributory negligence is no defence.