the power of a legislative body (eg a parliament) to make laws The European Parliament now has full legislative powers in the controversial areas of the common agricultural and fisheries policies.
- The law prevents the abuses of legislative power that arise when individuals or groups are singled out.
- The District Court granted dismissal which the Fourth Circuit affirmed on the legislative-power ground.
- We conclude that the Constitution grants Congress legislative power sufficient to enact this law.
- Westminster will retain control of primary legislative powers in all areas.
- The monarch has little legislative power.
- The government is promising the Welsh assembly 'enhanced legislative powers'.