to assert firmly, to state authoritatively The Companies Act lays down strict rules regarding accounting practices.
- Do not confuse this with lie down, eg lie down on the bed.
- These bodies will lay down guidance procedures for the bailiff (= court officer who serves documents and enforces orders).
- Staff will lay down ground rules for the process.
- There is not much time so it is not easy to lay down hard and fast rules.
- The Minister of Finance will lay down plans to keep borrowing.
- When the new President came into office he tried to lay down the law, insisting that reporters not question him during photo opportunities.