a person who sits on, or is a member of, a jury (=a group of people selected to reach a decision on questions of fact based on evidence presented in court) The juror complained that the medical evidence in the case was too complicated for jurors to assess.
- The jurors handed down the verdict.
- He served as an alternate juror.
- A new juror was seated.
- The jurors will hear the case.
- The evidence was meant to influence the jurors.
- The terms juryman and jurywoman still appear but the more modern, gender-neutral juror should be used.
- Related term: jury trial is a trial by a group of ordinary citizens who are selected to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused.