unimportant, not material, irrelevant Whether the ex-wife began working or not during the marriage was immaterial to whether she would succeed in gaining custody of the children.
- Do not confuse with nonmaterial which means not composed of matter or not concerned with money or material things.
- His position on the board of directors is immaterial.
- She chose not to write a report to clients on the news, deeming it immaterial.
- Board members were told that the matter was immaterial.
- Whether it was true or not was immaterial, but it had the desired effect.