(EU, UK & COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES) a consultation document, published by a government, of policy proposals for debate; the first stage of the legislative process It is not clear if the measures set out in a green paper will be enforceable in the courts.
- Green Paper
- The government released a green paper.
- The Commission adopted a Green Paper.
- The EC issued a Green Paper.
- They proposed a green paper.
- A green paper is the first stage of the legislative process. It is usually followed by a white paper that then forms the basis of a bill to be presented to Parliament.