the action of taking away part of someone's income or money to pay a person or institution to whom that person owes money The garnishment of his wages was ordered by the court for his failure to pay child support.
- This appeal arises from a garnishment proceeding.
- A garnishment action must be accompanied by a one dollar fee.
- She was seeking garnishment of his wages and tax returns.
- The employee's earnings have been subject to garnishment .
- A percentage of your weekly wages is protected from garnishment .
- You can object to the garnishment .
- The court may order garnishment of a portion of the servicemember's pay.
- (US) garnishment order
- (UK) garnishee order