if you commit a fraud then you deliberately lie or do not give important information because you want someone else to rely on (=put trust in) this lie or incomplete information so that they will give up something of value, usually money His actions were misleading but did not rise to the level of fraud.
- The fraud was carried out by using the credit to pay back money.
- He has been convicted of a criminal offense involving fraud.
- The Serious Fraud Office is investigating claims of fraud.
- Fraud charges were brought against the banker.
- She was found guilty of fraud.
- credit card fraud
- mail fraud
- securities fraud
- defraud (verb)