to extend to means to be applicable to or to be within the scope of something The right to self-defence extends to protecting one's property.
to expand in scope or meaning We are currently expanding the range of services we provide.
to cause to last longer We may have to extend our mortgage to 30 years.
- Various schools of law are experimenting with distance learning as a way to extend the reach of their offerings.
- The government recently abandoned plans to extend those protections to people accused of rape.
- How far do they extend?
- Legal privilege does not extend to communications with in-house legal counsel.
- Parliament has approved constitutional changes extending the powers of the president.
- The tenants can choose to extend their lease.
- The main stand will also be extended to accommodate more than 500 seats.
- The agreement extended the time to assess tax.
- In legal writing enlarge is often used as a synonym of extend: The defendant moved the Court to enlarge the time to complete discovery.