the principle that the government must respect all of its citizens' legal rights during the course of course of legal proceedings; the administration of justice according to established rules and principles The defendant's counsel argued that his client's due process rights had been infringed.
- The term process is a false friend in certain other languages, and is sometimes (incorrectly) used to mean trial. In German, the term Prozess means trial, as does the term procÃ¨s in French. There are many false friends in Legal English, process being one of the more common ones.
- All actions followed due process.
- The defendants have had due process.
- It is important to uphold the principles of due process.
- He is entitled to due process under the Constitution.
- Due process is a shortened form of the phrase due process of law.