to lose value over a period of time China has criticised Taiwan for allowing its currency to depreciate.
- Do not confuse depreciate with deprecate, which means to express disapproval of someone or something.
- The car depreciated by $2,000 in the first year after it was bought.
- The company's property has depreciated in value over the last few years.
- It is estimated that the rupee will continue to depreciate throughout the next few years.
- The tax payable decreases proportionally as the asset depreciates.
- appreciate (antonym)