if a debt is delinquent then it is overdue (=has not been paid on time); late in paying money that is owed There are now millions of delinquent mortgages.
behaving in an illegal, unacceptable or antisocial way Adolescents who have witnessed or taken part in a war are more likely to show delinquent behavior.
- He is delinquent in his payments.
- The borrower was delinquent in making repayment of the loan.
- You are delinquent on payments.
- UFJ, the smallest of Japan's four 'megabanks', is set to announce big losses due to delinquent loans, despite a pickup in the economy.
- Corsica has often been seen as France's delinquent province - but now its problems are reverberating on the mainland too.
- School exclusion is often the result of delinquent behaviour, but it is also a cause of it.
- Businesses often sell the delinquent accounts to debt buyers.
- You are now over 90 days delinquent on your loan.
- Their loans are delinquent.
- The usage differs on either side of the Atlantic. In AmE, delinquent applies to either people or things. In BrE, the term more commonly applies to people.