(usually plural) steps taken by a potential target company to avoid being taken over by another company, or to allow the target company to negotiate a better deal The company asked for advice on the implementation of defensive measures to avoid a change in control.
military action or resources intended to protect a country against potential enemies Pyongyang has stated its nuclear weapons programme is purely a defensive measure to protect it against a US attack.
action taken to protect an individual or group against a threat Dr Sandford claimed the company later began to "...resort to defensive measures that attempted to discredit my name."
- definition 1 (colloquial) shark repellant
- definition 1 (colloquial) porcupine provision
- A majority must be obtained to approve a proposed defensive measure against the takeover threat.
- It was described as a defensive measure against acts of violence against the state.
- The defensive measure was reasonable in relation to the threat posed.