a defendant's answer to the claim or charge made against him or her No defence was offered to the claims, so the court ruled in favour of the claimant.
the defendant and the defendant's counsel (=legal advisor) The defence raised a number of objections to the questions put by the prosecution.
- The defendant failed to file a defence in time.
- They claimed their religion as a defense against a charge of possessing marijuana.
- The defence counsel argued strongly in favour of her client.
- in defence of international law
- The BrE spelling, ie defence, was used in the US through the early 20th century. Avoid using it in American texts today at the risk of seeming pretentious.