goods delivered to someone for them to sell for you or return to you if the goods cannot be sold The art dealer took the valuable painting on consignment and sold it on behalf of its owner.
a quantity of goods to deliver, be delivered or sent The first consignment of highly radioactive fuel has been removed from the site for reprocessing.
- Although consignation has the same root as consignment the meaning differs significantly. Consignation is a deposit made by a debtor of the thing or the money that is owed to a bank or a person who is authorized to receive it, usually under the authority of a court.
- Consignment shops generally split the money made from the sale of a garment 50-50 with the consigner.
- The first consignment of wines is now en route to London.
- Transit shall commence when the Carrier takes possession of the Consignment at the point of collection.
- A consignor delivers goods to a consignee.