to allow someone to do something She consented to a police search.
to agree to do something The board of directors did not consent to her appointment.
- Assent is close in meaning to consent, but assent implies a more active, voluntary and enthusiastic agreement, than consent, which can be reluctant.
- The landlord refused to consent to an extension of the lease (=legal agreement to use property for a period of time).
- The seller consented to the buyer's request to delay payment.
- A patient must consent to certain types of medical treatment.
- The company consented to the use of their name on the website.
- The related word consensus means the shared opinion of three or more parties.
- A consent decree in AmE is called an agreed verdict in BrE.