the person designated to preside over meetings of the board of directors of a company In his role as company chairman, he exercises a lot of influence over the running of the business.
the person designated to preside over any body Representative Green was appointed chairman of the Ways and Means Committee.
- He has been appointed chairman of the marketing committee.
- He is the company's former vice chairman.
- As chairman of the Federal Reserve, he raised the interest rate.
- He served as chairman of the board.
- In modern usage, the gender neutral chair is preferable to chairman or chairwoman.