to announce formally that an event (often a meeting) is going to happen The board of directors called for a meeting of the shareholders.
to ask or tell someone formally to come to a court of law, usually to give evidence, or to come to the witness stand in a court of law; to ask or tell someone formally to come to a particular place The prosecutor called several witnesses who had seen the crime.
to ask for something formally, such as payment of a debt, a vote on a particular matter or for an election to be held etc An election was called following his resignation.
- The chairman called for a vote.
- You become a barrister when you are called to the bar.
- It is a great honor to call to order the Convention.
- The bank can call in a loan if repayment is not made timely.
- Call option is an option to buy securities.