to make someone sure of something, especially by telling them something positively or confidently so that they no longer have any doubts The tour operator assured me that my children would be totally safe on their adventure holiday.
- Do not confuse assure with insure or ensure. Insure should only be used in financial contexts to describe the business of insurance companies. Ensure means to make certain that something will happen or be done.
- We must assure consumers that organically produced products meet a consistent standard.
- The government must assure protection for patients.
- I can assure you that my fellow grand jurors treated me as an equal.
- They have put systems in place to assure quality output.
- We require companies to have reasonable procedures to assure the accuracy of the personal information they collect.