to take and hold a person in custody (=temporary imprisonment), generally because you believe they are guilty of a crime FBI sources insisted again today they still expect to arrest Felix Bloch.
- Do not confuse arrest with imprisonment. Arrest is temporary while imprisonment is for a term ordered by a court.
- He was arrested by the police at the scene of the crime.
- They intend to arrest the suspect for murder.
- An 18 year old man was arrested shortly after the attack.
- A politician has been arrested on suspicion of fraud (=obtaining money by deceiving people).