to gain value over a period of time Her shares appreciated in value despite the bad market conditions.
to understand a situation completely; to understand the full meaning, importance or implications of something I didn't appreciate quite how much of my leisure time the project would take up.
to recognise the full value of something or someone I don't think my boss appreciates my commitment to the company.
- The sound quality was poor so we couldn't really appreciate the music.
- I really appreciate your help.
- I fully appreciate your concerns.
- The government failed to appreciate the fact that voters were angry.
- Property values have appreciated over the past 10 years.