a share or portion of assets that is assigned or granted This provision for spousal allowance frequently permits a surviving spouse to claim such items as personal belongings, a vehicle, or small bank accounts.
the amount of something that is permitted, especially within a set of regulations or for a specified purpose Pressure to maintain the personal tax allowance in future years could put government finances under more strain.
a sum of money paid regularly to a person to pay for specified needs or expenses I had two small daughters at the time and found it very difficult as we only had £13 plus family allowance to live on.
- Do not confuse allowance with allocation.
- He received an allowance to cover his expenses.
- An allowance is paid by the government to all students to cover housing costs, etc.
- They received family allowance of £75 a month.
- The company made provision for a gratuitous allowance to its employees.
- Under the rules, you have a tax-free personal allowance of £4,000.
- She was entitled to a spousal allowance of $200,000.
- No tax is payable on your income within the tax allowance.
- When your husband dies, you may be entield to a widow's allowance.