to claim or assert that someone has done something illegal or wrong, often without giving proof The prosecutor alleged that the CEO had engaged in insider trading.
- Allege is similar to but distinct from contend or an accuse. To contend is to claim that something is true or is a fact, and to accuse is to charge someone with a crime or other wrongdoing.
- He alleged that the witness had lied under oath.
- Authorities allege that criminal conduct occurred.
- His attorney alleges police misconduct.
- It is alleged in the complaint that there was a prior relationship.
- As well as saying she alleged that ..., you can also say she made the allegation that ...