a senior law officer of a country or other jurisdiction, whose role is to advise the courts or Government on the law On April 28th the court published an opinion by its Advocate General.
an assistant to the 15 judges at the European Court of Justice The Advocate General to the European Court of Justice will deliver his opinion next week.
- Advocate General
- The correct plural form is advocates general, not advocate generals.
- A new Advocate General has been appointed.
- The issue was referred to the Advocate General.
- The advocate general of the European Court of Justice has ruled that Britain has failed to enforce EC standards on nitrate levels in drinking water.
- EU LAW There are 8 Advocates General. The position of the Advocate General during a hearing at the European Court of Justice is equal to that of the 15 judges. The Advocate General must present cases to the judges and help them reach a decision.
- SCOTS LAW The main legal adviser on Scots law to the Scottish Executive and the UK government.