action to collect
legal proceedings to force a debtor to pay an outstanding debt They brought an action to collect attorneys' fees.
- If a debtor (=person who owes money) refuses to pay an outstanding debt (=money owed), the creditor (=person owed money) may have to file an action to collect with the court.
- A creditor may only commence an action to collect a debt in certain circumstances.
- They are entitled to claim for wages in any action to collect a debt.
- The collection action was brought by the bank against the debtor.
- The term collection action is also used in this context.