the act of giving up something voluntarily, such as a property right or a proposed course of action, with the intention of not reclaiming it (=asking for it to be returned) Trademark law requires that abandonment of a trademark must be for at least three years before another can take over use of the mark.
- Until abandonment is authorized, operations must continue.
- She sued for wrongful abandonment of the contract.
- A man charged with abandonment, for example, would be ordered to return home or pay support.
- The abandonment failed to meet environmental standards.
- child abandonment
- spousal abandonment
- application for abandonment of property
- In family law-one can abandon one's spouse by failing to have contact with the intention to create permanent separation.
- Also abandon one's child by failing to communicate and provide financial support for a period of time that shows the intention to renounce parental rights and duties.